Monday, January 13, 2014

Homemade Rapunzel Hat/Hair

Close up of hat made for Kelcie. Bling includes an applique "K."
Full view of Kelcie's hat.


These hats were super easy to make. I purchased basic kid winter hats. Then I searched the sewing section and found a handful of cute applique "bling" that I hand sewn onto the hat. Since I was making these for my twin daughters, I used an applique "H" and "K" to denote their names. Finally, I purchased a skein of bright yellow yard for the braids.

 After hand sewing the appliques to the hat, I started working on the braids. I started with about a 3-4  foot length (if you make it long enough to touch the ground for your child, it can serve as a scarf wrapped around their neck) and wound it back and forth until I had a very thick section to work with, that I thought would give me 3 fat braid sections. I used a small piece of the yellow yard to tie one end altogether. Then I cut the loops at the other end and separated into my 3 braid pieces and got braiding. I simply tacked down the braids to the inside of the hat to attach them. Viola!

younger sister loves the extra long hair!

My girls demonstrating how the long braids can be used as scarves!
 
 
Kelcie showing how fun the braids are for twirling!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment