Thursday, December 3, 2020

Easy Holiday Yarn Garland


Supplies:

  • Skein of yarn - one for each color in your garland
  • Cardboard for wrapping, at least 4"
  • Scissors



You will want to cut your cardboard according to how long you want your tassels. I found several scraps of cardboard that were already 4-1/2", which works great. 

First, you will need a strand laid against the cardboard horizontally, that you will wrap over. Mine are about 9" so they hang over the edge of the cardboard. Because I have two pieces of cardboard, I find it helpful to put this horizontal yarn between the sheets of cardboard to keep it tucked out of the way.



2. Start wrapping. My garlands are wrapped 32 times. You can play with it to decide how fat you want your tassels.  






Keep in mind that when you're looking at it, you are only seeing 1/2 of the thickness; half is on the backside.


3. It's time for that horizontal piece you wrapped over. Gather both ends and tie the top of all the yarn in a double knot, as tight as you can make it.





4. Slide the yarn off the cardboard and cut the bottom ends. If it is easier to cut the ends while it is still wrapped on the cardboard, go for it! 

5. Cut another short string to tie the "head" of the tassel. This piece doesn't need to be quite as long as the top piece. You will double knot as tight as you can, then the ends will hang down and join the rest of the tassel. 


6. Trim any pieces that hang too long, and you're done with the tassel! 








Keep making tassels in all the colors you want to use for your garland.


Presenting, my finished garland:

Finished Garland


For this first garland, I used a ruler and tied the tassels every 8 inches (below picture). As I looked at the garland hanging, I decided to do my second garland with tassels attached every 6 inches. 

Garland with tassels every 8 inches


Garland with tassels every 6 inches


That's it! A pretty simple project that doesn't take long, easy for kids to help with, doesn't need to be perfect to look good - ingredients of a perfect Christmas craft in my book. Please comment and let me know what you think! I'd also love to hear about your tassel garland.















2 comments:

  1. Super cute!! I especially love your "elf on the shelf" dangling precariously on top of the blinds!🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, isn't it fun with our Violet tucked in?

      Delete